Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for "What the heck is the name of that lake?" and Cloverfield



I’m really kind of stretching it for the letter “C” today, but I did say that stuff was going to be random, right? I was going to talk a bit about our cat, Cheddar, but that is a bit predictable and I don’t have any current pictures of him because he is a scaredy-cat! Prepare yourselves for the randomness:

Which of the following letters - R, B, M or C - appears the most times in the word CHARGOGGAGOGGMANCHAUGGAUGGAGOGGCHAUBUNAGUNGAMAUGG? Yes, it’s a real word. Would the Internet lie? Anyhoo, the answer is: the letter C. The letter R and B appear only once; the letter M appears twice; but the letter C appears a whopping three times! Anyway, this massively long word would appear to be Welsh (seriously, have you seen some of the names of the towns in Wales? Some appear to be all vowels, and some don’t seem to have any vowels at all. Some of them just sound like you’re clearing your throat. No offense to anyone from Wales! You guys rock with your bad-ass names!), but it is actually Native American Nimpuc language for the name of a lake near Webster, Massachusetts, USA. It is commonly known as Lake Webster (gee, I wonder why…). According to the Interwebs, the lake’s name means “You fish on your side; I fish on my side; nobody fishes in the middle.” So…there you have it. You are Jeopardy ready now. Here is a picture of it to prove I'm not making it up:


OK, now for the movie portion of today’s post. Today’s movie beginning with the letter C is Cloverfield. Now, I know there are some of you groaning just reading the name of my choice, but I totally love this movie. When the Blair Witch Project came out, I didn’t really like it. It kept building up and up, and it was making me very anxious, and then the ending was just weird and I didn’t get it. I watched it again a few years later, and I still didn’t get it. But I loved the idea of filming the movie in the style of a home movie camera. It seemed to make it more believable. Cloverfield is filmed in this style. It takes a bit to get going, but when it finally does, it takes off like a fighter jet and you can’t unclench until about a half hour after it’s over. I love that. And it all takes place at night, which always makes things 100 times creepier; you never really get a look at the monster until almost the very end but you can hear it making ungodly noises and see the destruction it’s causing. Which adds to the psychological thrill. If you like Godzilla movies, you will like this one. ‘Coz it’s better.

See you tomorrow for the letter "D".

TTFN.

(Sources: www.funtrivia.com and www.websterlake.net/pictures)

3 comments:

  1. Hello Heather, how are you doing? I liked today's post and yesterday's about the tuba. You seem to have a bit of a penchant for scary films. How are you getting on with the challenge? I'm finding visiting takes a lot of time, but seeing as I'd been to see you once already I definitely thought I'd come back. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather. I just love your post. That has to be the longest name for anything. It certainly is the longest I have seen. Thanks for the answer to my question before I asked it. That is, what the heck does that mean? I would really like to hear someone say it. Maybe if I feed it into dictionary.com it will do that for me. Fun post. Thanks. Maria from http://delightdirectedliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh that was the longest word I have ever seen! One could get lost typing it over and over again!

    visiting from A/Z; good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Comments totally rock my world - please leave one!